[3.0 WIP] The Mammoth - freezing ele-phant (cheap, easy to gear and pretty safe)

I'm currently (2017-08-22) at level 87 in SC Harbinger League, doing tier 8 maps easily (I know this is not a real feat, just saying, so you know where the build is at at the moment) and done with the merciless labyrinth to get my second Ascendancy. My goal is to get to level 90, being able to do t12-13 maps, Uber-lab and Uber-Atziri, we'll see.

This is my first build guide ever, please comment both on content and appearance. I started the guide in hopes to get into build of the week - ambitious!

My goal is to make a build guide for people that are kind of new in Wraeclast, if you are new and there is something you don't quite understand or would like to get more information on please let me know and I'll do my best to answer you.

Whit that out of the way, I present to you....

http://i.imgur.com/kqCCMXJ.png

Introduction - general build ideas and inspiration

With my love for freezing things and after watching Scion Class Tree and Naming Conventions Explained by itsYoji (specifically) and noticing that you can buy yourself a Pet Elephant I knew I had to make a freeze based Ascendant (Elementalist/Hierophant) in Path of Exile "The fall of Oriath".

The idea behind this build is to keep everything frozen until it shatters and in the worst case scenario I'll have my trusty decoy totem.

To accomplish this I use an Arctic Breath Totem (makes chilling ground) and Frostbolt (always pierces, so it's easy to deal cold damage to many monsters). Both of them are supported (among other things) with Hypothermia (%more damage vs chilled enemies and chance to freeze chilled enemies).

This is a very safe build, most things are frozen or distracted and you can use purely defensive curses, but I prefer one offensive one. The riskiest parts are the traps of the labyrinth, breaches and multi-essence mobs (one part of this is since the build uses a ground effect it can really cause lag to potato computers).

This is also a very cheap build (I've spent 8c to buy 4 gear items - out of impatience - the rest is self-found), it doesn't require any expensive uniques or high-end gear, but as with any build in PoE: if you want you can probably invest absurd amounts of currency into them.

This build does have a large drawback, it requires RMT

Elephant Pet (offical preview video) - get yours in the PoE microtransactions Shop

http://i.imgur.com/FYFSnqJ.png

What you get - playstyle, stats, tree, gear and deeds - wip

Playstyle & on-the-run-adjustments - needs polish

Default play style in maps
- run in a pattern, shoot Frostbolts towards where you are running, kill stuff, loot
- if you are attacked from the side kill them too (but be careful of how you position so that you only shoot Frostbolts towards areas where you haven't been - this makes looting so much easier)

Adjustments vs. bosses or tanky rares
This requires you to use 6 skills sometimes, good times :)
- drop down: Decoy Totem away from you, Arctic Breath Totem near you (so the enemy is between both), Orb of Storms and Frostbomb on the enemy.
- Shoot Frostbolts while keeping the 4 above things running.

Adjustment on Elemental Reflect map (or ele-reflect+allies can not die rare)
- Swap one green gem (Hypothermia or if you have a 6L: Slower Projectiles) for Mana Leech (this both lowers the damage you take and replenishes your health pool - since I have MoM.
- Swap one of your utility flasks (I prefer the Silver Flask) with a Sapphire Flask (ideally with increased duration and quality)

Stat screenshots - needs polish

Frostbolt fully buffed tool-tip dps + notes

http://i.imgur.com/aGcOSQq.png

Buffs (from left to right):
- I have a Lightning Golem
- I have a Chaos Golem
- ---
- Herald of Ice
- Chaos Golem (no offensive buff)
- Lightning Golem
- Elemental Conflux (from the Elementalist Ascendancy)
- Molten Shell (no offensive buff)
- Onslaught (linked to Herald of Ice or Silver Flask)
- Arcane Surge (linked to Frostbolt)
- Elemental Overload (from the 'normal' tree)

Additional buffs:
- Added 44% Cold Penetration from Frostbite
- Added 20% Cold Penetration from Frost Bomb
- Added 6% Elemental Penetration (from the Elementalist Ascendancy)
- Hypothermia is another 39% more multiplier against chilled enemies.

Frostbolt - no buffs tool-tip dps + notes

Passive buffs:
- Added 44% Cold Penetration from Frostbite
- Added 20% Cold Penetration from Frost Bomb
- Added 6% Elemental Penetration (from the Elementalist Ascendancy)

Defences and base stats + notes

Base stats

I have 2181 unreserved mana since 808 mana is reserved for Herald of Ice + Onslaught Support

Non-buffed defences

Fully buffed defences

This is with Chaos Golem and a Basalt Flask active

Additional defences
- Keeping most things frozen or at least chilled.
- Shattering enemies is safer than just killing them.
- I use Mind Over Matter (MoM)
- I leech 0,2% of my cold damage as life
- I regenerate all my mana in 17sec
- I keep easy access to Phase Run (both on Cast when Stunned and on a Flask), lets me run away easily.
- The totems allow me to block enemies from being able to reach me (especially useful indoors).

Level 90 tree & current gear

* PoB-pastebin of current build (tree and items).
* tree: level 90
Current Gear

http://i.imgur.com/4YeRoAo.png

NOT STARTED: How to get there - a leveling guide

Assumptions and words

Assumptions

Previous experience - You have played the game and somehow managed to get to the end of act 3 (this is required to unlock the scion class).

Optional Quests - You are expected to do all optional (blue text) quests. If you are speed-leveling and skipping I assume that you know how to adapt to taking those later.

Words

mule - is a character that is created with the purpose of getting some early items (gear, gems, flasks, etc) to your real character. This is sometimes needed as not all classes get access to all gems.

Barely started: The first 13 levels (roughly act 1)

First start by muling (see "words and assumptions" above) the gems 'Freezing Pulse', Decoy Totem' and 'Arcane Surge', a wand (or two), your starting flaska and any loose change you might have. (This requires you to complete the first quest and get into Lioneye's Watch and pick you reward - then dumping everything in your stash.)

Secondly create a Scion and get to town to pick up the things you muled. Equip a wand with Freezing Pulse linked with Arcane Surge (if you are lucky and have three-link (BBG) you can pop Onslaught in there too).

Thirdly get out there and kill stuff, check the below spoilers for details regarding gems, gear, what skill points to allocate and your economy.

NOT STARTED: Gems & Gear

Barely Started: Skill tree

Level 13 (+ 2 skill points from quest rewards)

Start by going south south west to the notable skill point 'Constitution', and then move north, north west towards the Keystone 'Mind Over Matter' but don't allocate this now.

Not Started: Economy

NOT STARTED: Finishing part 1 (acts 1-5)

NOT STARTED: The Labyrinth

NOT STARTED: The end of questing

NOT STARTED: Early End Game

NOT STARTED: Final thoughts

http://i.imgur.com/QtY5JTz.png

Not finished: Build Details - a detailed look at gear, gems, flasks, skill trees, etc

Ascendacies

* Hierophant - to get a second totem, note that you have to put one of your totem skills in your helmet.
* Elementalist to get the Elephant combination (the 50% less elemental reflect and a second golem)- there probably are better choices, but then you wont get a Mammoth!

Gem Setup

As this build is still a work in progress and I'm not really good at the game (although Path of Building and the wiki helps a lot) the gems are probably not optimal. Please suggest things to change, for example I'd love to get Innervate and Elemental Proliferation in there somehow to get more damage versus bosses.

* Main skill (6L Body Armour):
- Frostbolt + Spell Echo Support + Controlled Destruction Support + Hypothermia Support + Arcane Surge Support (lvl 13) + Slower Projectiles Support/Mana Leech Support
Notice that I keep Arcane Surge Support at a level where to casts of Frostbolt will trigger the buff, I do this for 2 reasons: I like consistency and the Arcane Surge buff scales really bad with levels.

* Chilling totems (4L Helmet):
- Spell Totem Support + Arctic Breath + Greater Multiple Projectiles Support + Hypothermia Support
Although this is to get large areas of Chilling Ground they also do some damage (Path of Building calculates their unbuffed dps to ~6900 each and I can use 2).

* Mixed Utilities (3 Weapon/Shield):
- Summon Lightning Golem + Flame Dash + Frost Bomb

* Curses (4L Boots)
- Orb of Storms + Curse on Hit Support + Temporal Chains + Frostbite
You can swap Frostbite with other curses depending on your party or encounter, I'm leveling: Elemental Weakness, Vulnerability and Enfeeble to be able to swap around.

* Defensive Trigger (4L Gloves):
- Cast when Stunned Support + Molten Shell + Phase Run + Summon Chaos Golem
When you get a pair of corrupted gloves with the implicit: "Socketed Gems are supported by level 12 Cast when Stunned" then you can remove that gem and use "Increased Duration Support" instead.
I'm pretty sure there are better defensive option than Phase Run, I just like being able to run away

* More Mixed Utilities (2L + 1 Shield/Weapon)
- Herald of Ice + Onslaught Support
- Decoy Totem

Gear - started

See above in the section "What you get" for my current gear, here I'll list the 'important' stuff.
* 2 Frozen Trail Jewels (You get one as a quest reward - I bought the other for 2c)
* A Doryani's Invitation Belt - Make sure it is the Cold variant! (I paid 1c for mine)
* A pair of Gloves with corruption "Socketed gems are supported by level 12 Cast when Stunned" with the correct sockets: 4L RRGB. (I paid 3c for mine)
* An Experimenter's Sapphire Flask of Heat - for reflect maps. (I paid 2c for mine)

Flasks - not started

* not started

Skill Tree - started

I recommend taking the "boring" nodes first as it will make the build more fun later on.
Level 90 skill tree, see above in the leveling section "How to get there" for earlier trees.

Key-setup

[LM] Move Only
[MW] Summon Lightning Golem
[RM] Frostbolt
[Q] Arctic Breath Totem
[W] Orb of Storm + curses
[E] Decoy Totem
[R] Flame Dash
[T] Frost Bomb
[--] Herald of Ice

Notes - not started

* not started

Thanks for reading, feel free to suggest changes :)

TODO:
- leveling guide (skill tree, gems, gear, bandits)
- proper images
- more details on alternative gear, etc
- polish

NOT STARTED - no question yet :)

Not sure where to put this yet

List of most of the used gems in alphabetical order

Italic is used for gems that are optional in some way, maybe they are used for leveling or I mention them as an alternative to another gem.
Bold is used for core gems.

Added Lightning Damage Support - Act 1, Quest/Vendor Reward, The Caged Brute
Arcane Surge Support - Act 1, Vendor Reward (1 Scroll of Wisdom), Enemy at the Gates
Arctic Breath - Act 3, Vendor Reward (1 Orb of Chance), Sever the Right Hand
Cold Penetration Support - Act 3:Siosa, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Orb of Chance), A Fixture of Fate
Controlled Destruction Support - Act 2, Vendor Reward (1 Orb of Alteration), Sharp and Cruel
Curse On Hit Support - Act 4, Vendor Reward (! ORb of Alchemy), The Eternal Nightmare
Decoy Totem - Act 1, Quest/Vendor Reward, Breaking some Eggs
Enfeeble - Act 3, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Orb of Alteration), Lost in Love
Faster Casting - Act 2, Quest Reward, Sharp and Cruel
Flame Dash - Act 1, Quest Reward, The Caged Brute
Frostbite - Act 3, Quest/Vendor Reward, Lost in Love
Frostbolt - Act 1, Vendor Reward (1 Scroll of Wisdom), Enemy at the Gates
Frost Bomb - Act 1, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Scroll of Wisdom), Breaking some Eggs
Greater Multiple Projectiles Support - Act 4, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Orb of Alchemy), The Eternal Nightmare
Herald of Ice - Act 2, Quest/Vendor Reward, Intruders in Black
Herald of Thunder - Act 2, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Orb of Alteration), Intruders in Black
Hypothermia Support - Act 3: Siosa, Vendor Reward (1 Orb of Chance), A Fixture of Fate
Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support - Act 1, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Orb of Transmutation), The Caged Brute
Orb of Storms - Act 1, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Scroll of Wisdom), Breaking some Eggs
Onslaught - Act 1, Quest/Vendor Reward, Enemy at the Gates
Slower Projectiles Support - - Act 3:Siosa, Vendor (1 Orb of Chance), A Fixture of Fate
Spell Echo Support - Act 4, Quest/Vendor Reward, The Eternal Nightmare
Spell Totem Support - Act 1, Vendor Reward (1 Orb of Transmutation), The Caged Brute
Summon Chaos Golem - Act 4, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Orb of CHance), Breaking the Seal
Summon Lightning Golem - Act 4, Quest/Vendor Reward, Breaking the Seal
Temporal Chains - Act 3, Vendor/Quest Reward (1 Orb of Alteration), Lost in Love

Editado por útlima vez por kruff en 24 ago. 2017 14:50:00
Reflotado por última vez en 24 ago. 2017 11:10:54
Bump!

Reportar publicación del foro

Reportar cuenta:

Tipo de reporte

Información adicional